How Can I Help?
Most people don't follow the day-to-day actions of the legislature. Why should you? You have more important things to do. That is exactly what the wind and solar companies are counting on. There are a few simple things you can do, though, to keep this bill from becoming law:
1. Let both your state representative and state senator know you are opposed to HB 1381
- To see who represents you in the general assembly, visit this site.
- Call the numbers provided and ask for the legislator's office. The House Republican switchboard is (800) 382-9841, the House Democrat switchboard is (800) 382-9842, and the switchboard for all senators is (800)-382-9467.
- Be polite and simply ask that the legislator vote against HB 1381.
- If you would rather send an e-mail, find their contact info here.
2. Let the governor know you are opposed to HB 1381
- In the event the bill passes both the House and the Senate, Gov. Holcomb could prevent it from becoming law by vetoing it.
- Visit this page to send him an e-mail message.
- Under "E-mail Topic," scroll down and select House of Representatives (or Other, it doesn't matter).
- Enter your contact information and explain in your own words why you think HB 1381 is a bad idea. Ask him to please veto the bill if it passes both the House and Senate.
3. Spread the word
- Tell your friends, family, and neighbors about this bill. Encourage them to visit this blog and contact their legislators as well.
- Post this blog on social media and express why you believe HB 1381 is a bad idea.
- Reach out to your local government officials, ideally the county commissioners, and make them aware the state is attempting to take this important decision away from them.
- Encourage them to contact the representative and senator from your area. They may have more sway as they likely know each other.
- We're not a big company with lots of money to spend on a fancy website or marketing software. We're just a few regular folk like you trying to preserve our quality of life.
- If you send us a message to DefeatHB1381@gmail.com, we'll keep you informed of the bill's progress.
- After contacting your legislators, did you get any idea whether they were leaning in favor or against the bill? If so, please pass that along.
- Let us know if you are willing to devote even more time to this effort, by contacting your local media or actually testifying against the bill, etc.
- We promise we won't sell or even share your e-mail address with anyone else. (If you'd rather just check back here periodically, that's cool, too.)