How Can I Help?
Most people don't follow the day-to-day actions of the legislature. Why should you? You have more important things to do. That is exactly what the wind and solar companies are counting on. There are a few simple things you can do, though, to keep this bill from becoming law:
1. Let both your state representative and state senator know you are opposed to HB 1381
- To see who represents you in the general assembly, visit this site.
- Call the numbers provided and ask for the legislator's office. The House Republican switchboard is (800) 382-9841, the House Democrat switchboard is (800) 382-9842, and the switchboard for all senators is (800)-382-9467.
- Be polite and simply ask that the legislator vote against HB 1381.
- If you would rather send an e-mail, find their contact info here.
- If you would rather send a letter, the Statehouse address is 200 W. Washington Street, Indianapolis IN 46204.
- If you have extra time, you can also reach out to other legislators, most notably members of the Senate Utilities committee, listed in yellow here.
2. Let the governor know you are opposed to HB 1381
- In the event the bill passes both the House and the Senate, Gov. Holcomb could prevent it from becoming law by vetoing it.
- Visit this page to send him an e-mail message.
- Under "E-mail Topic," scroll down and select House of Representatives (or Other, it doesn't matter).
- Enter your contact information and explain in your own words why you think HB 1381 is a bad idea. Ask him to please veto the bill if it passes both the House and Senate.
3. Spread the word
- Tell your friends, family, and neighbors about this bill. Encourage them to visit this blog and contact their legislators as well.
- Post this blog on social media and express why you believe HB 1381 is a bad idea.
- Reach out to your local government officials, ideally the county commissioners, and make them aware the state is attempting to take this important decision away from them.
- Encourage them to contact the representative and senator from your area. They may have more sway as they likely know each other.
- We're not a big company with lots of money to spend on a fancy website or marketing software. We're just a few regular folk like you trying to preserve our quality of life.
- If you send us a message to DefeatHB1381@gmail.com, we'll keep you informed of the bill's progress.
- After contacting your legislators, did you get any idea whether they were leaning in favor or against the bill? If so, please pass that along.
- Let us know if you are willing to devote even more time to this effort, by contacting your local media or actually testifying against the bill, etc.
- We promise we won't sell or even share your e-mail address with anyone else. (If you'd rather just check back here periodically, that's cool, too.)